Fourth part of the second session of the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Durban Platform for Enhanced Action (ADP 2-4),
Closing statement by Nepal on behalf of the Least Developed Countries Group
14 March 2014, Bonn, Germany
I have the privilege to speak on behalf of the Group of Least Developed Countries. We align ourselves with the statement made by Bolivia on behalf of the Group of G77 and China.
Co-Chairs, let me first highlight four elements we heard repeatedly this week:
- We need to act urgently;
- Our common goal should always remain achieving the ultimate objective of the Convention;
- Through our work, we must collectively achieve a temperature goal that will avoid future catastrophic impacts; and
- Success in this process cannot be achieved without what is currently lacking, i.e. leadership and proactive engagement by all Parties.
Co-Chairs, the LDC Group believes that the key elements of the Warsaw outcome on ADP Workstream 1 provide the basis for clear actions in 2014. These include:
- The urgent call to accelerate the development of the 2015 Agreement, in particular through further elaboration of the elements for a draft negotiating text for consideration in Lima;
- The call for collective initiation or intensification of national preparations;
- The decision to initiate discussion on information that Parties need to put forward to enable all Parties to understand what they intend to contribute as their future commitments under the 2015 Agreement, and possibilities such a modality would offer for the upfront analysis of Parties’ future commitments. Read the rest of this entry »